Apply to Our Farm Advising Program
We’re thrilled you’re interested in our support!
Or perhaps you are curious what “support” actually looks like, and what you need to qualify?
Plain & Simple...
We are a team of Business Advisors for farmers.
And we ask for your TIME instead of your MONEY as payment.
Our experienced Business Advisors pull from their own experience as well as the experience and knowledge of our clients, alumni, partners and experienced farmers and ranchers. We are part business therapist, part connector, part problem solving partner in crime. We try to ask good questions, listen, share tools and lessons learned, and connect you to people and resources.
Who We Look For
Kitchen Table Advisors works with for-profit sustainable farm or ranch businesses that are either currently (or actively transitioning) certified organic produce and/or pastured livestock operations.
We also look for the following criteria in applicants:
- Commitment to farming: Already farming full-time and/or express a clear long-term commitment to farming
- Production & business experience:
- 3+ years of production and sales experience in their own business
- Are at an inflection point in their business (ie: scaling business, buying property, launching new crops or products, hiring employees, systematizing income and expenses, formalizing partnerships, etc.)
- Commitment to Business Growth:
- Willingness to dedicate significant time and thought into working on the business and thinking thoughtfully about where you want to go
- Openness to sharing goals, hopes, fears, and well as your financials and plans
- Receptiveness to developing skills and stretc hing outside of your comfort zone
- Engagement with Kitchen Table Advisors: Willingness to engage with Kitchen Table Advisors to raise resources necessary for this work by giving your time & space for activities such as farm tours, speaking engagements, etc.
- Location: We look for farms located in any one of the following regions of the Bay Area:
- Central Coast or San Joaquin Valley (San Benito, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Madera, Merced counties)
- North Bay (Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Lake)
- East Ba y to Sacramento (Yolo, Solano, Contra Costa, Sacramento)
And if you aren't in one of these regions we'd be happy to consider you as we expand our program
What We Offer
We focus on supporting you in the following areas:
Curated Farmer Connections
- Peers and seasoned farmers
- Markets & buyers within our community
- Financing partners
- Pro-bono resources with specialized expertise in HR, legal, communications
In-Depth 1:1 Business Advising
- Business visioning
- Business planning & integrating crop, marketing, financial plans
- Annual budgeting
- Cash flow projections
- Financial analysis
- Surrounding yourself with the right people
Plus: Alumni services upon program completion
How to Apply
1. Learn about our criteria and whether you qualify
If you read this page, then you can check this one of the list!
2. Read our Client & Advisor Agreement
We want to be on the same page about expectations on both ends over the course of our three year program. Click here to view a sample of our Client & Advisor Agreement.
3. Fill out an application
We are currently updating our 2018 Application. If you would like to sign up to receive a link to the application once it is completed, please fill out our Request for Application Form
Recruitment & Application Timeline
We accept applications year-round, and are in touch on an ongoing basis. For more information about our application review and acceptance process, please refer to this timeline:
- Ongoing: Online applications & referrals
- Winter → Summer: Application follow-up and initial interview
- Spring → Fall: Second interviews with qualified applicants
- September - October: Client selection and invitation
- November: Client Gathering with all new clients
- December - January: Business Coaching sessions begin