Our client Jesse Pizzitola at First Light Farm in Petaluma sent this recipe from Elizabeth Simpson’s Homestead Foodbook to First Light’s CSA subscribers last year. The earthy beets, fresh new potatoes, and spicy spring greens are fabulous companions, and this recipe is a reminder of what a pleasure it is to broaden our food horizons by participating a CSA program. Some of our clients still have spots available in their CSA programs, including Fifth Crow, Fogline Farm, and Dinner Bell.
Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
- 2 lbs beets
- 1 lb small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 1/3 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T prepared horseradish sauce
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 bulb (2½ C) fennel, trimmed, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 C arugula (or Mizuna)
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- To roast the beets, preheat oven to 400. If beets are small, bundle two or three together in tin foil; if large, wrap each separately. Place on a baking sheet, and bake until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, slip off skins. Cut into ½ inch wedges.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes until just tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, horseradish, and salt.
- Add fennel, scallions, arugula, beets, and potatoes; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle feta over the top.