A recipe highlighting winter citrus, created by our client Doniga Markegard of Markegard Family Grass Fed.
Citrus-Brined Roast Chicken on Mixed Greens
For the Brine:
1 cup sea salt flakes
¼ cup maple syrup
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 bunch each rosemary & thyme
1½ garlic heads, halved horizontally
4-5# whole chicken (bonus if it's a Markegard chicken)
For the Salad:
Large bag of mixed greens
- Stir salt, sugar, vinegar, half the rosemary and thyme and 1 quart water in a saucepan over medium heat to dissolve salt and maple syrup. Halve oranges and 1 lemon and squeeze juice into pan, then add the squeezed fruit with the garlic and bring to a simmer. Transfer to a container large enough to fit chicken, add cold water and refrigerate until chilled.
- Add chicken to brine, weight with a plate to submerge completely, then cover and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes
- Rub entire bird and the cavity with remaining herbs and insert half a lemon into cavity. Squeeze the other half on top of the chicken
- Place bird breast side up in shallow roasting pan and add 2 tablespoons water to pan.
- Roast for 1-2 hours or until the juices run clear and chickens internal temperature is 160-165 degrees.
- Let chicken cool and shred
- Place shredded cooled chicken on a big bed of mixed greens and slice up some avocado and oranges to sprinkle on top. Serve with a simple olive oil dressing.
- Save the chicken carcasses for stock and pick up a pack of Markegard chicken feet to add to the simmering stock
Recipe by: Doniga Markegard, Markegard Family Grass Fed
Photo by: Jonathan Fong